HEART OF THE ROCKIES
CHINOOK TRI FESTIVAL
IRONMAN 70.3 CALGARY
GREAT WHITE NORTH TRIATHLON
HEART OF THE
RED DEER RUN SERIES
Chinook Classic Triathlon Schedule of Events
June 2020 event postponed. We are working on an alternative date. More details to follow in May.
Race Package pickup
Like any other event we are always in search of some much needed enthusiastic volunteers. If you have a family member or a friend that’s coming to watch the event, then ask them to help out. They get a great meal and of course lots and lots of fun. They can register here.
We race in is a crystal clear residential lakes. Water temperature ranges from 18C to 21C in mid-June. Wetsuits are recommended.
Race Bib Number (you will find in your swag bag)
• In your race kits you will have a Bib Number related to your event. Please make sure you’re in the right event (Blue is long course, Purple for other).
• Affix your Bib to a bib strap belt (fabric elastic or proper triathlon belt).
• Do not wear your Bib in the swim under your wet suit, it will probably tear apart when you take it off.
• Your Bib must be visible on your back when you’re on your bike, failure to do so could result in a penalty.
• When you get off the bike your Bib needs to be visible on your front during the run, failure to do so could result in a penalty.
Race Number Kit (you will find in your swag bag)
• The large sticker is to be wrapped around your bike tube so that it’s visible
• The blue number sticker you attach to your blue swim bag. Stuff your wet gear in this bag before you get on your bike. We’ll return it to T2/Finish.
• The red number sticker you put on the red run bag. Use this to hold your run gear that you drop off on race morning at T2 at your bike rack location before boarding the bus.
• The white bag is your dry gear bag and you affix the dry gear sticker. Carry that to T1 on race morning and we’ll bring back your dry clothes to T2/Finish.
• The Helmet sticker affix to the front of your helmet
• The other stickers are spares
• Bibs need to be transferred from athlete to athlete in transition. Also Timing Chips need to be transferred and affixed to the ankle of the athlete, in transition as the team advances.
• Teams would only require the white bag so you should affix the sticker to your dry bag gear (bike rider’s pre-race clothes). The swimmer and cyclist will be at T1. The runner needs to be waiting at T2.
Bike Drop-off for all athletes:
• We require you to drop your bike off at Bike Transition at Lake Chaparral, at Transition 1 (T1) on Friday between 5:00-8:00pm. Security will be monitoring the Transition throughout the night.
• The bike racks will be numbered in sequential order ie: 100-104, 105-110, place your bike in the space assigned to your rack, if your number is 103 then you’re in the middle of the rack. Tri-clubs will have their own VIP section of bike racks.
• For teams: your bike racks will be at the end of transition labelled “Teams”
• You will receive a blue bag in your kit, this bag is for your bike gear and your wetsuit after your swim. Bring it with you and it can be placed with your bike. Your bike gear will be required to be in your bag.
• Out of town athletes that are not able to get to bike check in at that time will be able to so in the morning. Transition will be open at 6:00am.
Race Day Procedures
• Drive to to Transition 2/Finish at Granary Road (19 minute drive from Lake Chaparral).
• Do not park your car at Transition #1 as you will have to ride back to get your car at the end of your race. Bus shuttles will only run until 9:15am return for spectators. You must drop your run bag at Granary Road before the swim start.
• We will provide a shuttle service (5 buses) starting at 6:00am to the swim start. The turnaround time for the shuttle is about 45 minutes.
• The first shuttles will be reserved for the Long Distance Athletes
• Spectators will be allowed on the shuttles but priority will be given to athletes.
Transition #2 Rules (Granary Road)
• Transition opens at 5:30am.
• This is the location of your bike to run. You place your RED RUN gear by your bike number on the racks. Make sure you have labelled your Red bag with your Red number (included in your swag bag). Give yourself about 10 minutes to do this before you get on the bus.
• Long Course athletes board buses first, Olympic/Duathlon second and spectators last.
Bus 1-2 6:00am, Bus 3-5 6:10am, Bus 1-2 6:55am, Bus 3-5 7:15am, Bus 5 9:15am return to Granary Road for spectators
Body Marking, Race Check-In & Timing Chip at Transition 1
1. Race Check-in Location for race check-in will be at T1 and opens at 6:00am
2. Body Marking Make sure you get body marked on the arms and legs (let the ink dry before you put your wetsuit on)
3. Timing Chip Pick up your timing chip at the table next to registration. Do this before you go to your bike or the bathroom!
Transition #1 Rules (Lake Chaparral)
• There are designated spots for your bike with signs. Find your number sequence and rack your bike. Tri-club teams can proceed to their VIP rack section.
• Please don’t hog a spot, we need to place 4 bikes per side on the rack i.e.; if you are #103 then you’re rack will be in the centre of the rack
Parking at Lake Chaparral is available along Lake Chaparral Drive. Granary Road is open for business and has plenty of parking at the finish line.
Awards and Post Race Festivities
• Post-Race Festivities will be located at Granary Road T2 Finish line. We will have plenty of hot food. Visit the sponsor tents and have a chat with them.
• We’ll have a light Massage provided by licensed practitioners. Thank them for their time and volunteer spirit.
• Post-Race meal starts at 11:30am, provided by Granary Road, Cinnzeo Cinnabon and our other sponsors.
• Granary Road are hosting a beer garden. Bring a few bucks for a cold brew.
• Thank a Volunteer