Chinook Triathlon / Duathlon / AquaBike Race Details
Saturday June 20, 2020
If you have additional race-related questions about this event after reviewing the race details and updates below, please contact us.
Race Package pickups:
Thursday, June 18 10:00am – 7:00pm Tri It Multisport. They also rent westsuits and can set you up with lots of great triathlon gear. Located at 1703 10 Ave SW, Calgary
Friday, June 19 10:00am – 7:00pm Tri It Multisport.
Pre-race Coached Clinics
Learn more here. Swim orientation practice nights will be scheduled closer to race date.
This is a single transition course. Parking is next to our finish line and you can simply drop your bike off on race morning!
SWIM COURSE – NEW for 2020 at Lake Chestermere
Half Iron and AquaBike (Long Course) Swim Start: 7:30am (Half Iron Teams included)
• Warm up stops 10 minutes before race start – get your face wet, it’s an easier start this way. Next you will be corralled through the timing sensors to ensure you are in your event and to make sure we account for you at swim exit.
• Wear the Swim Cap provided.
• You have 1hr 15min to complete your swim. If you’re having difficulty finishing we’ll canoe up next to you and ask you if you’re doing OK and if you think you can finish. Our goal is to give everyone the opportunity. If it’s obvious that you won’t make the time cut-off when starting the second lap, we will have to disqualify you from the event (so get in some pool laps before race day)
• The swim will be once clockwise loop of 1,900m around the buoys clockwise. Exit at the beach, cross our timing sensor and run on the grass to the transition zone west entrance.
Olympic and AquaBike (Short Swim) Start: 8:15am (Teams included)
• Warm up will be 10 minutes before race start – get your face wet, it’s an easier start this way. Next you will be corralled through the timing sensors to ensure you are in your event and to make sure we account for you at swim exit.
• Wear the Swim Cap provided.
• You have one hour to complete your swim. If you’re having difficulty finishing we’ll canoe up next to you and ask you if you’re doing OK and if you think you can finish. Our goal is to give everyone the opportunity. If it’s obvious that you won’t make the time cut-off at the half way point, we will have to disqualify you from the event (so get in some pool laps before race day)
• The swim will be one lap of 1,500m around the buoys clockwise. Exit at the beach, cross our timing sensor and run on the grass to the transition zone’s west entrance.
DUATHON RUN COURSE FIVE LAPS (5km)
Duathlon Start: 8:15am on East Lakeview Road just south of the Camp Chestermere parking lot.
• The race start coincides with the Olympic distance triathlon start.
• Five clockwise laps around the community following pylons = 5km.
• When you return on your final lap, follow the marshal’s directions to cross the timing sensor and run into the transition zone’s west entrance.
DUATHLON RUN interactive map click here.
TRIATHLON TRANSITION ZONE
HALF IRON BIKE COURSE interactive route map click here.
OLYMPIC BIKE COURSE interactive route map click here.
Start/Finish: Camp Chestermere
Aid Stations: Half Iron course at 6km, 35km and 64km. Will include sport-top water bottles, energy drink bottles, gels and bars. A porta-potty too!
• Helmet chinstrap must be secured once you touch your bike and must remain secured until you finish and rack your bike, there are stiff penalties for not complying. Triathlon Alberta, TriCan and ITU rules apply.
• Drafting: Know the rules for drafting because you will be assessed a 10 minute penalty. Minimum two bike lengths behind. Absolutely, No Riding side by side. If you are in the TriTogether wave, you are allowed to ride in groups without penalty (you just won’t qualify for a finishing position).
• Do not race through the aid stations. If you are picking up supplies you MUST slow down.
• Do not throw your water bottles at the volunteers, drop them on the grass before and/or after the aid tables set up on the side of the road.
• Yell out your choice of bottled beverage: “Nutrition” or “Water”.
• If you are going to stop, look behind you to make sure it’s clear and pull off the shoulder to stop.
• Single file is the proper order for getting beverages. If you fail to follow through single file then you will be penalized 5 minutes. Explanation: If you are behind an athlete and you want to get a water bottle then you must stay behind the athlete to get your aid. Once through the aid station then you can pass.
• Passing on the course: If you are going to pass, you yell out “PASSING ON THE LEFT”. You must stay on the right side of the solid line. If you cross over the solid line you will be assessed a 2 minute penalty.
• Being Passed: If you are being passed and someone yells “Passing on the Left” you must move over to the right and allow the athlete to pass. If you block the athlete you will be assessed a 2 minute penalty, 2nd offence is disqualification.
• Litter: We want to keep the environment clean and free of pollution, so we request you drop off all litter at the aid stations or carry it with you. Water bottles must be dropped at the aid stations. Anyone littering on the road will be warned and if not amended, penalized 15 seconds. Please consider this rule as we are given the use of the land from organizations that rely on us to respect the environment.
• No portable music or cell phones allowed on the bike course. No exceptions to the rules, immediate disqualification.
• Police /Flagger controlled intersections. Please pay attention while going through the controlled intersections. As you know there are always drivers out there that sometimes don’t pay attention. Please use judgment as this is not a closed course.
• We are making every effort to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable experience but please be careful as you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.
HALF IRON RUN interactive route map click here.
OLYMPIC & DUATHLON RUN interactive route map click here.
Start/Finish: Camp Chestermere. Course follows the lake shore and canal. Mountain views included.
Aid stations: #1 at Transition, #2 at 1.3km, #3 at 3.3km and every 2km serving water, electrolyte drink, cola & gels. Porta potties on course.
• Finish your bike ride by dismounting at the dismount line where our timing sensor will pick up your bike time.
• Walk your bike on the grass and enter the Transition Zone at the west entrance (nearest to the lake). Do not undo your chinstrap till you rack your bike.
• Find your spot on the bike rack .
• Make sure to place your bike directly over your run gear. Be respectful as you have 4 other athletes that will be placing their bikes as well.
• Put your run gear on and exit out of transition at the EAST exit and start your run (at the end of the race as you go to retrieve your gear we will have security personal to cross check your gear with your race number).
• As you exit transition you will cross the timing sensor to record transition times.
• Run south out of Camp Chestermere. Your first Aid Station will be located is at the start of the run course.
• Olympic/Duathlon (2 loops), Half Iron Distance (3 loops). Each course has flags marking turn around points. NOTE: The Half Iron run course includes an extra loop around the storm pond on each lap.
• Additional lap turn is near transition zone.
• When you’ve finished reward yourself with that big fat medal and some hot grub and suds.
Run Course Rules
• Number Bibs to the front (use a race belt)
• Absolutely no littering on the course. If you are caught you will have a 5 minute time violation and be forced to go back and pick up the litter. Drop your litter off as you go through the Aid Stations
• No portable music, MP3 Players, iPods, earbuds and cell phones allowed on the run course. No exceptions to the rules, immediate disqualification